I’m personal injury attorney Mike Lombardi. And today, I’d like to talk about how you can legally protect yourself if you are involved in a motorcycle accident. Don’t expect the insurance company to do it. Other drivers most frequently cause motorcycle wrecks.
So if you’ve been injured in such an accident, there are certain steps you should take if you are able to do so in order to legally protect yourself. You’re going to have to gather the evidence to show that the accident wasn’t your fault.
You’re riding along, obeying all the traffic laws when the car to your right changes lanes, sideswiping you, sending you flying off your motorcycle. You’re hurt, but you are conscious and functioning. In such a scenario, here’s what you have to do.
What you must do
- Call the police. You want them to come and assess the situation and write up a police report.
- Gather information from the driver who hit you. You will want his name, address, license plate number, phone number and insurance information.
- If there are witnesses to the accident, get their contact information and ask if they will hang around until the police get there, so they can give them a statement.
- Take photos of the accident scene, the damaged motorcycle, any damage to the car, the license plate number of the car, scattered debris, landmarks, street signs, lane markings, and skid marks.
- Get immediate medical attention. Even if you think you aren’t hurt, many types of injury show up later.
- Contact the insurance companies involved, letting them know what happened in your intention of filing a claim.
- Do NOT give a recorded statement to the defendant’s insurance until you’ve decided whether to hire a personal injury attorney.
- Consider calling or texting us at Mike Lombardi Injury Attorneys.
We are experienced motorcycle accident attorneys who can protect you from the insurance company who will try to blame you. We will help protect you and give you the expert advice you will need.
♪ Mike Lombardi is the way to go. Call 600-0000. ♫